Headaches - Are They Normal?
Although it is extremely common that people get headaches, it is not normal. Headaches are always a symptom of a larger problem somewhere in the body. Healthy people do not get headaches.
While there are many medical hypothesis that attempt to determine why headaches occur, there are not many effective treatments in conventional medicine that are able to fully correct the problems that cause headaches. In fact, this is something that conventional medicine often overlooks or fails to understand, which leaves the patient feeling desperate or frustrated. If you have headaches - there is a reason and often all it takes is finding a doctor skilled in functional medicine to do the investigative work to determine the cause. The proper testing and diagnostic evaluation can lead to solutions that have a powerful and positive impact on quality of life in the future.
A healthy person does not get headaches
While the causes of each individual's headaches can be widely different, there are some very well established links to headaches and things like medications, diet, stress, toxic exposure, and other factors as well.
Drugs that cause headaches
- Birth control pills and hormone replacement therapy
- Blood thinning medications
- Cold medicines, antihistamines and decongestants
- High dose corticosteriods, such as prednisone and hydrocortisone
Foods that may cause headaches
- Dairy products: milk, cheese, yogurt, cream, ice cream, and less commonly butter and keifer
- Sugar: cane sugar, beet sugar, raw sugar
- Alcohol: wine, beer, hard liquor
- Coffee, soda and other high caffeine drinks
- Gluten grains, specifically gliadin containing grains (wheat, rye, barley, non-gluten free oats)
- Less commonly: eggs, citrus, nuts, yeast and corn
Some of the Medical problems associated with headaches
- Adrenal Fatigue
- Thyroid Problems
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Heavy metal toxicity
- Toxic exposures
- Female hormone imbalances
- Male hormone imbalances
- Blood sugar irregularities
- Insulin resistance
- Food allergies or sensitivities
- Mineral and nutrient deficiencies
If you are ready to get rid of your headaches, call now to set up an appointment with one of our doctors to perform an evaluation of what is causing your headaches.
Naturopathic health care with compassionate integrative doctors who understand your unique medical needs.