As we transition out of summer and into the season of harvesting-
Fall is a great time for reflecting on our lives and health with the help of some simple tips to improve our health and well being!
1. Instead of spending time watching TV or surfing the Internet, deepen your relationships with family, friends, and yourself.
2. Start a new exercise program that will carry you through the colder, darker months of winter.
3. Look to autumn's abundant harvest to nourish yourself and your family. Apples, squash, peppers, tomatoes, and beans will energize you this season.
4. Stay toned with yoga or other flexibility-enhancing movements during the cooler weather.
5. B vitamin injections—are very useful this time of year, to help you avoid “what’s going around.” Dr Hoffman also recommends several supplements that support healthy immunity.
6. Fall is a good time to detoxify the body. Avoiding sugar, gluten and dairy for a few weeks can help you feel more energetic and youthful.
7. In Chinese medicine, the lungs are one focus of the fall season. Overdoing it can lead to congestion and toxicity, possibly resulting in upper respiratory infections. A facial steam or a steam room may to help clear sinuses.
8. If you do get sick drink ample amounts of pure water, herbal teas, and hot soups. A popular British herbal remedy is to eat/chew several cloves of fresh garlic at the first sign of a cold. Peel the cloves first, dip them in honey, and chew several times daily for a few days. Another option is to squeeze a few cloves into a hot bowl of soup. If you would prefer to not have breath that would frighten vampires, you can of course ask Dr. Hoffman about less "aromatic" approaches to boosting your immunity!
9. Fall is a season full of gatherings. If you are attending parties with food and drink, eat lightly before the event. Make sure to have some protein and vegetables, rather than the high carb foods that will slow you down and promote weight gain and foggy thinking as well as decrease your immunity
10. Rest now before the demands of the holidays arrive. Shifting and balancing with the seasons is vital to staying healthy. Plan for staying strong and healthy through the holidays and if need be, discuss your health strategy with Dr. Hoffman so you can avoid many of the common holiday pitfalls.
For more questions about nutrition, healthy eating, improving immunity and overall wellness this Fall and Winter - call 707-292-8882
Enjoy this Article? Let's Keep them Coming.
Make your health a priority. Get our latest updates sent to your inbox.
Naturopathic health care with compassionate integrative doctors who understand your unique medical needs.