Liposuction in Santa Rosa - Weight Loss Options That are Safe
Weight gain is a problem that can be handled with many approaches. Some treatments for weight gain and belly fat are aimed at getting rid of the weight as quickly as possible. Some procedures are surgical and can have many side effects, including the possibility of death. Liposuction is a popular approach to deal withe the cosmetic elements of weight gain and this procedure does NOTHING to correct what has caused your weight gain. Did you know that liposuction has the possible complication of death? The possible complications of liposuction are as follows:
The possible price to pay for a quick fix with liposuction
Infections (which can lead to death) Infections are possible and can happen after any surgery, and there are now two ways about it - liposuction is a surgical procedure. Because of this common complication, most prudent surgeons will prescribe an antibiotic to all patients undergoing liposuction. Unfortunately, not all surgeons do this. It can also be very difficult to keep the area clean after the procedure which will raise the risk of infection. If you are unfortunate enough to get an infection, this could lead to further surgery. Sometimes, infections that are caused by the liposuction may be serious or life threatening such as in cases of necrotizing fasciitis (which is when bacteria eat away at the tissue) or with toxic shock syndrome, which is a serious, sometimes fatal infection caused by a bacteria, that is associated with surgery (you may have heard of toxic shock syndrome occurring in women using tampons, also).
- Embolism (which can lead to death) Embolism may occur when the loosened fat from your liposuction enters your blood stream through blood blood vessels that have ruptured (broken and traumatized) during the liposuction. Pieces of fat will get trapped in your blood vessels, then they can gather in your lungs, or travel to brain brain - both of which can cause death. You may need to seek emergency medical care if your have symptoms of fat emboli. This problem may cause permanent and life altering disabilities and can be fatal.
- Visceral Perforations (puncture wounds in the organs which can lead to death). During liposuction, the the doctor cannot see where the canula or probe is and as a result of "poking around blindly" It is possible that your internal organs will be damaged or punctured during liposuction. This may happen, for instance, if the intestines are punctured during abdominal liposuction for belly fat. When organs are damaged, surgery may be required to repair them. Visceral perforations may also be fatal.
- Seroma. After liposuction, there is often a "pooling" of serum, the straw colored liquid from your blood, in areas where tissue has been removed.
- Nerve Compression and Changes in Sensation. You may experience "paresthesias" (nerve sensory losses) which is an altered sensation at the site of the liposuction and in any area that is innervated by your damaged nerves. This may either be in the form of an increased sensitivity (pain) in the area, or the loss of any feeling (numbness) in the area. These side effects can persist for a long period of time (weeks or months), and can also be permanent.
- Swelling. Swelling or edema may occur after liposuction. In some cases, swelling may persist for weeks or months after liposuction.
- Skin Necrosis (which can lead to death). The skin above the liposuction site may become necrotic or "die." When this happens, skin may change color and be sloughed (fall) off. Large areas of skin necrosis may become infected with bacteria or microorganisms. This can also lead to other cosmetic surgeries aimed at correcting this problem.
- Permanent Burns. During ultrasound assisted liposuction, the ultrasound probe may become very hot and can cause burns.
- Fluid Imbalance. Fat tissue, which contains a lot of liquid, is removed during liposuction. Also, physicians may inject large amounts of fluids during liposuction. This may result in a fluid imbalance. While you are in the physician's office, surgical center or hospital, the staff will be watching you for signs of fluid imbalance. However, this may happen after you go home and can result in serious conditions such as heart problems, excess fluid collecting in the lungs, or kidney problems as your kidneys try to maintain fluid balance.
- Toxicity from Anesthesia. Lidocaine, is frequently used as a local anesthetic during liposuction. You may have had a similar drug, novocaine, to numb your mouth at the dentist. Large volumes of liquid with lidocaine may be injected during liposuction. This may result in very high doses of lidocaine. Lidocaine toxicity may cause the heart to stop. Of course, this can be fatal. In general, any type of anesthesia may cause complications and is always considered a risk during any surgery.
Liposuction Causing Death
There are numerous and well documented reports of death as a result of liposuction. There are several studies that estimate how often patients undergoing liposuction die during the procedure or as a result of it.
- Studies indicate the possible risk of death is up to 5 times the risk of being killed in a car accident (between 20 and 100 deaths per 100,000 liposuction procedures). The risk of dying in a car accident is 16 per 100,000.
- One study suggests that the death rate is higher in liposuction surgeries in which other surgical procedures are also performed at the same time.
- It is important to remember that liposuction is a surgical procedure and that there may be serious complications, including death.
To set up a consultation with our weight loss doctors and specialists, and to learn how we can help you fix your weight problem permanently, call: 707-292-8882
VOTED BEST DOCTORS IN SANTA ROSA - 2015
Terms related to this article: weight loss clinics in santa rosa and liposuction in Sonoma county. Liposuction safety and liposuction dangers or risks. Liposuction doctors and options for safe weight loss programs in santa rosa area. Weight loss specialists and doctors with supervised weight loss options that are effective with long term solutions
Naturopathic health care with compassionate integrative doctors who understand your unique medical needs.