IV Therapy Doctor in Santa Rosa
Vitamin C IV Therapy - Call 707-292-8882
What is Vitamin C?
- Vitamin C acts as a powerful antioxidant in the body
- It is also water soluble vitamin
- It is thought that Vitamin C may offer protection against cancer
- It is thought that Vitamin C may offer protection against other serious illnesses
- It can help to strengthen and protect intracellular structures from damage - including DNA
- Helps the body deal with the many environmental pollutants and toxic chemicals our bodies have to contend with on a daily basis
- Vitamin C supports and fortifies the immune system
- Inhibits the formation of cancer-causing compounds such as nitrosamines (preservatives found in processed meats)
- Vitamin C can actually preferentially kills cancer cells - yes, kill cancer cells.
- It is not toxic to normal healthy cells and can be given in large doses without harm to the patient.
Where is Vitamin C Naturally Found?
Vitamin C is found naturally in the following foods:
Why do we need Vitamin C
Vitamin C deficiency is called scurvy. We need 60 mg per day to prevent scurvy. Most integrative doctors agree that we should obtain on far greater amount daily than the minimum, deficiency prevention amount of 60mg. Obtaining more Vitamin C can help our bodies to optimally run all of its many vital functions and to this end, may help to prevent disease from developing in the first place.
Vitamin C taken orally cannot achieve high enough serum levels to be cytotoxic (kills cells) thus the use of intravenous therapy is necessary. Interestingly enough when Vitamin C is given IV no diarrhea occurs. Oral routes can not guarantee a constant serum level. Vitamin C given IV lends itself to controlling this vital variable of maintaining constant serum levels in order to ensure cyto-toxic levels with in the blood.
There are a few contraindications to vitamin c therapy.
- First it is advised that the patient seek care from a trained physician in intravenous therapy.
- Suitable veins for IV therapy are necessary as the concentration of the IV can be irritating to the vein causing transient pain at the IV site.
- Medical conditions such as kidney failure, dialysis, history of oxalate kidney stone formation, hemochromatosis and G6PDD should not receive high dose vitamin C.
- All patients should be screened for red cell glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency. This rare genetic disorder can give rise to hemolysis (breaking of red blood cells) if they are put under oxidative stress. A simple inexpensive blood test can screen for G-6-PD.
Recommendations For Frequency Of Treatment:
If there are evidence of tumors still present as demonstrated on CT or MRI scans our doctors may recommend one IV of vitamin C given twice per week.
If the tumors have been treated with an surgical intervention or chemotherapy our doctors may recommend that the vitamin C be given once per week for twenty treatments.
We often will repeat the therapy after a resting interval of 6 weeks to 6 months depending upon the patient's own needs.
Some protocols recommend using IV vitamin C twice per week for one full year until there is no evidence of cancer. Some patients use intravenous Vitamin C during Chemotherapy. Our doctors will recommend you discuss this with your oncologist.
Studies have shown that taking alpha lipoic acid (a water soluble antioxidant that recycles vitamin C) enhances the tumor cell- killing effects of vitamin C.
An oral dose of 400mg 1-2 hours before IV therapy is typically recommended to our patients. It is important to maintain blood levels of vitamin C between IV treatments as well as after completion of treatments. A daily dose of 5000-10,000 mg per day will accomplish this for most of the patients that are coming in for Vitamin C infusions.
Additionally, long term vitamin C therapy is gradually tapered over time. In other words if vitamin C was given twice per week for an extended time then a reduction to once per week for a time is typically is advised for our patients.
Additional Notes On Treatment:
A holistic treatment approach that includes the body mind and spirit can augment the effectiveness of the vitamin c therapy. In addition to high dose vitamin C the Tru Health Medicine Doctors will recommended several additional adjuncts to provide you with a comprehensive approach.
If you are interested in learning more about Vitamin C infusion, Vitamin C IV therapy in Santa Rosa, Please call our integrative clinic at 707-292-8882. You can set up a 10 minute consultation with one of the doctors and discuss any necessary testing and get started on a path to better health.
Riordan, N, Riordan H., Casciari, J.P. Clinical and Experimental Experiences with Intravenous Vitamin C:
Potentiation of Preferential Toxicity of Vitamin C. Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine, Proceeding from vitamin C as Cancer Therapy Workshop, Montral, vol 15, No. 4:210-213, 2000.
Lipoic Acid and Other Antioxidant in Hollow Fibre In Vitro Tumors. British Journal of Cancer, 84(11): 1554-50. June, 2001.
Enjoy this Article? Let's Keep them Coming.
Make your health a priority. Get our latest updates sent to your inbox.
Naturopathic health care with compassionate integrative doctors who understand your unique medical needs.